Tuesday 18 December 2012

Chilli Con Carne meatballs.

The genius here is to disassemble chilli con carne’s parts (spiced meat, cumin, beans, tomatoey sauce) and cook each part separately. This way you get a “best of” chilli with all the things you love but in a fraction of the time.

I decided to make this dish on a weekday when frankly I was tired and couldn't be bothered, but I persevered  and to be honest, was disappointed. There are lots of changes I think I would make, I definitely enjoyed the meatballs, and would keep these, but the sauce was missing a few elements which I usually enjoy in a chilli con carne. 

I found it quite mild, and coming from a family where unless you're sweating, it's not hot enough! I would be adding some more heat next time, and would also be swapping the smoked paprika, as I wasn't overly keen on the smokey flavour, as it tasted artificial. 

However, I did enjoy the bulgar wheat which was an excellent alternative to rice, it felt much lighter and didn't sit on your stomach and make me feel bloated like rice can do. 

If you enjoy a mild smokey chilli this one is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment